What is kundalini Yoga?
Kundalini yoga is the yoga of the householder. It is a complete technology that brings tangible results into your life. Through the use of postures, breathing practices, mantras, relaxation and meditation Kundalini Yoga teaches you the techniques and awareness to stay healthy. It gives you a strong foundation of health, well being that gives you the energy to deal with all the mental and spiritual facets of your life.
Here are some of the Benefits that students experience with regular practice of Kundalini Yoga:
- Increase your health & immunity
- Strengthen your nervous & glandular system
- Reduce stress & increase your vitality & stamina
- Release stress, old patterns & limitations
- Calm the mind & bring you inner peace
- Gain inner strength, courage & character
- Bring you self love, trust & compassion
- Help you to meet challenges in your life
- Awaken awareness and consciousness
Structure of a Kundalini Yoga Class
We begin our practice with the Adi Mantra Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo. This mantra connects us to the infinite spark of consciousness inside ourselves. It sets up a sacred space for our practice and helps to guide our practice with awareness.
We also chant the mantra Aad Gureh Nameh, Jugaad Gureh Nameh, Sat Gureh Nameh, Siri Guru Day vay nameh. This mantra clears doubts and opens us to guidance. It cleans out negativity and brings light to our aura.
After we have tuned in with the mantras, we usually prepare our bodies for the practice with a variety of warm ups.
We then practice a kriya. Kriya means completed action. A Kriya will have postures, breath, mantras, a point of focus and relaxation that are brought together in a specific sequence, which will bring a specific result. A Kriya removes the blocks and brings about a state of spontaneous flow. There are thousands of kriyas to choose from which work on all aspects of the body, mind, emotions and soul.
At the end of the kriya, students are guided into a state of relaxation, which helps them integrate the benefits of the kriya.
After relaxation, we practice meditation. Once again there are many different meditations to practice to bring our body, mind and soul into balance and harmony.
Prayers & Mantra at the end of class
Finally, we end the class with a prayer called the Long Time Sun
May the longtime sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide your way on
We then repeat Sat Nam (Truth is my identity) three times.
How to prepare for class
- It is important to come to the class with an empty stomach. Ideally do not eat for 2 hours before the class. It is fine to drink water.
- Wear comfortable clothes made of natural fibre.
- Bring a scarf to cover your head for meditation.
- Bring a yoga mat or a sheepskin rug to sit on.
- Bring a blanket for relaxation and water to drink.
- Let the teacher know if there is any medical reason that may prevent you from practising kundalini yoga fully. It is important never to aggravate an existing injury. If there is any concern whether yoga is suitable for you, contact your health care professional.
- It is up to you to listen to your body when practising yoga. You have to discern how much your body can do during the yoga. If for some reason, you need to come out of the pose, if you are able to, come back into the posture as soon as you can.
- Please do not practice kundalini yoga under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- You must let your teacher know if you are pregnant. There are certain postures and breath techniques that are contraindicated in pregnancy.
Ladies during their menstrual cycle need to avoid inverted postures, leg lifts and any strong breathing practice such as the breath of fire.
Have a read of what Preet’s students say about their experience of kundalini yoga:
“I have been going to Preet’s Monday class for about 8 months now, and it has become a very important and treasured part of my week; the opportunity to nourish my body and mind, regain balance and come to a place of harmony. Preet’s teaches with kindness, understanding, strength and grace which has also helped me to gain confidence in my own daily practice.” Kirstie
“What brings me back each week to this inspirational Kundalini yoga class (now for over 3 years)?.It is the commitment, pleasure,empowerment, joy and love from our teacher, Preet. I have found deeper peace, and connection as well as physical fitness and core strength. Fantastic! Thank you so much for all you have given and shared. ” Nicki.
“Preet Kaur shines like a lighthouse in my life s journey! She has guided me over many stormy waters to stillness and peace.Her deep commitment encourages me in my practice and the glimmer of her laughter brings her teaching home to my heart. I am part of a unified whole within the group class,whilst she is ever mindful of each one s individual needs.Her vigilance is a constant reminder of the SAT NAM (Truth of my identity)in every breath. Preet Kaur is a link in a Golden Chain that brings me ever closer to my Original Being!” Lila